So last semester/over the summer I was doing a completely different routine than I am doing now. Last semester I had a ton of time to workout. By a ton I mean an hour+. This semester the only real time I have to workout is from 8-8:30 am. Tight window I know, but I’ve found a routine that kinda works. I open the Apartment Gym at 8am sharp. For 15 minutes I used the crossover machine doing workouts for upper body, biceps, back. During these 15 minutes I will mix in pull-ups and push ups/planks when I can. After 15 minutes of pure exhaustion I leave the gym and run the long way back to my apartment. This mixes in about a half mile run every mon/wed/fri. Honestly it seems to work pretty well for me, I just need to get back into the swing of things after this past fall break.
Search and Rescue Project Update 10.23.2018
This semester I got involved in doing research with my Human Factors professor! By some cosmic circumstance the project for my undergrad research also just happened to be my project for my Deterministic Operations Research class as well (or at least a significant part of it is). I’ve been working an hour or two per day on this code because it basically double counts and I’ve got some great outputs! Below are “team assignments” and the probability of success (POS). The POS is the chance that we find the subject in the next 4 hour shift cycle. The assignments are pretty self explanatory, it tells how many teams of each type to send to a certain area. More work to come soon!
My next items include:
- Allowing Helicopters to search multiple districts
- Making Inputs of areas easier
- perhaps moving the code to a pop-up or external program based format
Amateur Musicians Club
Like two weeks ago I filmed a concert put on by the Amateur Musican’s Club here at VT. It was a super hype and I had a wonderful time! I made a full length (11 minute) video documenting the whole event, but I made this quick edit to describe the insanity of the night. If you want to see the full edit I’ll try to make a longer post but enjoy this quick sample for now! For now the full length is available on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07zgwGmNMk
Fox Hill 5k
This past week I went home to visit with my family before my summer classes started, and had the pleasure of running in the Fox Hill Community 5k. I’ve ran every one for the past five or so years, and they’re always a good time! My time was like 40ish minutes when I started out, and at this past 5k I got a time of 30:43! I’m hoping that the next 5k I run puts me around 25 or so minutes since I’m actively training at this point. I took first in my age group (14-19) which was very exciting. I won a hand painted Fox Hill garden pot, and I won a door prize of cupcakes and a photography minisession! Can’t wait to post those photos up here when it happens. It probably won’t happen though until after my summer classes conclude in late June. Here are some pictures, from the run! Have a great day!
So recently I have been looking around instagram (bad idea) and I have been inspired to obtain the body of my dreams.
- Push-ups – I’m currently doing them on my knees because I can’t maintain proper form on my toes. I do as many of these as I can, which usually means like 10 so far.
- Crunches – Just like with push-ups, I’m focusing on form instead of rep numbers here. So far I’ve been doing two sets of 20.
- Pull-ups – I used to not be able to do any of these, but I’m up to four traditional style with good form. I also try some with the side handles of the pull-up bar, and some flexed arm hang with the forward grip. I can’t currently do much of the variation style, but we’re making progress.
- Handstand – These are very nice for arms. Its like a push-up, but reversed and you’re in the air. It gets rather difficult to hold yourself up for any true extended length of time. I usually last about 10 seconds. I started doing handstands against a wall to get the balance down.
- Russian Twists – When done correctly and slowly these are killer.
_____I’ve been trying to do my workout every day, and a run every other day. Usually on the run I just go until I can’t anymore. This usually happens around the two mile mark. Hoping to bump this up to a 5k.
That concludes my thoughts on my workouts. I’ve been taking progress pictures, so when I have some good progress I’ll share those on my instagram @TheGlaab. Also I hope ot use some of my own photos on possible fitness updates in the future. Until next time, have a great day!